A system administrator is an IT-specialist who is engaged in setting up and ensuring stable operation of a computer park.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The main task of the system administrator is to improve and modernize the entire information infrastructure of the company, as well as monitor its performance and respond to emerging problems.
In small companies, the position of a sysadmin often implies the fulfillment of the duties of an “enikeyshchik”: refill cartridges, install windows, purchase equipment, interact with providers.
It also happens that the system administrator in combination performs the tasks of a network administrator (working with networks at the level of switches, routers, virtual networks). In the classic case, the system administrator deals with problems at the level of the operating system and application programs, and the network at the level of the network and programs working with the network.
Depending on the size and specifics of the company, the duties of the sysadmin may include:
– Setting up hardware and software for stable operation;
– Configuring servers, fault-tolerant solutions, infrastructure elements;
– Installation / installation of servers / services, upgrading existing ones;
– Maintenance of office computer equipment;
– Writing server software;
– Testing hardware;
– Setting up workstations, networks and network equipment (routers, modems);
– Information Security;
– Backup organization;
– Organization of remote access;
– Users support;
– Procurement of new hardware and software.
What are the advantages and disadvantages
According to the system administrators themselves, the main attractive feature of the position is the opportunity to work with the equipment, to solve non-standard tasks. “Or standard, but in its own way.”
The advantage of the post – the need to work with a variety of technologies that are constantly changing and improving. It stimulates constantly learning.
the need to always be ready to urgently fix something, even during off-hours; unregulated work schedule.
lack of self-replaceability. It is never possible to find a person who can sit in your place and continue working.
How to become a system administrator and where to go next?
In order to become a sysadmin, you need to:
– Know and be able to customize operating systems;
– Understand the principles of network equipment, network protocols;
– To be able to work with domain services, postal services.
Knowledge of programming languages and scripts will be a plus.